Lori Lyford - Master Director
“My personal objective is to continually learn about the barbershop craft and to share that knowledge to enhance the skills, confidence and musical credibility of all singers...” Lori Lyford
Lori Lyford came to Scottsdale Chorus in 1993 from Yakima, Washington, where she had been the director of the Rolling Hills Chorus in Region 13. Within a few short months (in her FIRST appearance on the International Competition stage!) she directed the Scottsdale Chorus to a 3rd Place win. Since then, she has taken the chorus to International competition 10 times resulting in four Third place, two Second place, and four First place medals.
In 2019, Lori was selected as the recipient of the Barbershop Harmony Society/NAfME Music Educator Award, which recognizes educators who “give students the opportunity to learn and participate in the joy and power that music education brings in uplifting the human spirit and fostering the well-being of society.”
Today she is one of the most sought-after coaches in the barbershop genre, conducting training seminars and coaching sessions throughout the United States and abroad. Whether dancing with the front row or performing a solo in a tender ballad, Lori is the ultimate performer. She is the driving force behind the success of the Scottsdale Chorus. Her accomplishments are many...
- Scottsdale Director since 1993
- Master Director 700*
- Won 11 international chorus medals with Scottsdale Chorus - always placing 3rd or better
- Sweet Adelines International / National Association for Music Education (NAfME) Music Educator of the Year in 2012
- Barbershop Harmony Society / NAfME Music Educator of the Year in 2019
- Certified International Faculty member
- Won international quartet medal as lead singer in Affinity
- Multi-year Region 21 Quartet Champion
- 2005 - Region 21 Hall of Fame
- 42 years teaching music with the last 12 years as Choral music teacher at Chandler High School in Chandler, AZ
- Chandler High School Teacher of the Year in 2017
- One of the Top Five Teachers in Arizona and named an Ambassador for Excellence by the Arizona Educational Foundation in 2017
* an elite group of directors whose choruses score 700 points (out of 800 possible) or more at Regional Competitions
Associate Director - Jana Gutenson
Jana Gutenson has been a member of Sweet Adelines International (SAI) since 1984, but barbershop has been in her life since birth! Her mother received her 60-yr. membership pin with SAI in Seattle in 2010, and her father was a 3-time International Chorus Champion with the Pekin Chorus of SPEBSQSA (now BHS).
Jana has served on the Music Resource Team of the Scottsdale Chorus since 1990 as Baritone Section Leader. Jana also serves as Associate Director, sharing her specialized knowledge of the Music Judging category and the barbershop style. Her role as Associate Director includes acting as in-house coach in weekly rehearsals, directing repertoire, leading vocal warmups and section rehearsals, as well as researching and selecting songs and arrangements for the chorus. Jana has served as teaching faculty and coach in a wide variety of settings within Sweet Adelines, International as well as in Europe as judge and faculty at the 2012 European Barbershop Convention and 2015 BinG! (Barbershop in Germany) Harmony College. Jana’s talent, experience, and passion for barbershop have been tremendous assets to the success of the Scottsdale Chorus.
Her accomplishments include:
- BA Music Education/Marketing; MA Curriculum & Instruction
- Retired elementary general music teacher with 23 years’ experience
- Region 21 Hall of Fame Award 2010
- Top Ten International Quartet Baritone with Affinity in 2008
- Certified Music Category Judge
- Former Region 21 Education Coordinator 2008-2014
- Member of the SAI Regional Leadership Committee 2011-2014
- Sweet Adelines International / National Association for Music Education (NAfME) Music Educator of the Year in 2016
- Member of the SAI Judge Specialists Committee as Music Category Specialist 2020-2021